Thursday, October 25, 2007

Able-Bodied and Home

I haven't posted in awhile, because one of the most events in my life took place a couple of weeks ago. My sweet sister, Kate, went home to be with her Lord Jesus. Here was a life used by God to bring people closer to him. Kate was 6 years older than me and severely disabled her whole life. She was such a huge part of our family. She shaped so many parts of me and has made an enormous impact on our family. If any of you are raising a special needs child, I've got the person you need to talk to: My mom! (but wait a week or so, she's in the midst of radiation treatment for breast cancer) Yes. When it rains it pours... But God is still good.

We just got back from a week of memorial services in Ohio and Indiana. Our family had such fun recounting so many memories. We took her everywhere we went, despite the stares and strange looks, fed her meals and we all took part in her strenuous therapy program. We loved her sweet smile and sparkly eyes, her huge hugs, her love for her nieces and nephews. What a blessing she was! I will not say “rest in peace” because I believe she is not resting…she is dancing and singing, able-bodied at Christ’s throne.

6 comments:

Nikki said...

You are just making me cry like a baby over here - your sister sounds wonderful and I'm so happy she is dancing with Jesus now!!!!

I'll keep your mom (and the rest of your family) in my prayers...

Pam said...

I'm sorry for your lost but happy that she is with Christ and dancing before His throne.

Carrie said...

Dear Gretchen,

Life is so tough sometimes. I am sorry to hear of your sister's death. It sounded like it was a beautiful time to remember her as you all knew her; truly a blessing to have. I will pray for your mom's strength as well in the following days and that God will walk beside her. I am so thankful we have a Father that knows when we need to be carried.

Blessings and hugs to you and your family!

Steffie B. said...

Keeping you in my prayers through this hard time. But you are right....she is now dancing with the Lord. Whatever a glorious time she must be having! ;)

Beckyb said...

I am SO sorry Gretchen - that is never easy, but yes - she is able bodied and dancing on those golden streets!! What a wonderful tribute!

Anonymous said...

Dear Gretchen, We send our deepest sympathy in the loss of your sister. The song playing on your blog was beautiful and so appropriate for the beautiful testimony of your sister. What CD is that from? LOved your kids costumes. Anna stuck with trick/treating over an hour and half!

Happy Gotcha Day, Samuel!!

AAAARRRGH!!

Happy 3rd Birthday, Mia!